Becoming a Child Care Provider


If you are interested in opening a Licensed Child Care Home, the first step is to take the Child Care Licensing Orientation. The purpose of this orientation is to provide potential licensed child care providers an overview of the licensing process so that you can decide if becoming a Licensed Child Care Provider is the right choice for you.  Participants will learn about the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's Child Care Licensing regulations, including paperwork requirements and the inspection process.  The orientation will take approximately one hour to complete.  An orientation is a requirement before an application can be submitted.  Orientation fee:  $30.00

To schedule an orientation session contact the health department Child Care Licensing Surveyor at 620-421-4350.


To be eligible to becoming a home child care provider or to be lead staff in a center: 

  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Have a high school degree or equivalent
  • Be able to pass a background check

Kansas law requires that homes be licensed or have a temporary permit when a provider has one or two children for more than 20 hours a week, or if they have more than two children. Licensing is not required when a family member provides care for a relative.




Under 18 months 18 months but under age 5 5 years but under age 11 Total
0 7 3 10
1 5 4 10
2 4 3 9
3 3 2 8


Under 18 months 18 months but under age 5 5 years but under age 11 Capacity
1 8 3 12
2 7 3 12
3 6 3 12
4 4 2 10





Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a licensed in-home child care provider?

The first step is to attend an orientation training at the Health Department. The purpose of the training is to review and discuss regulations and procedures.  Call for an appointment.

Does everyone who cares for children in their home need to be licensed?

Licensure is required if you:

  • care for one unrelated child more than 20 hours per week
  • care for two unrelated children more than 20 combined hours per week
  • care for more than two unrelated children

Are there any minimum requirements for being a licensed in-home child care provider?

The minimum requirements are:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
  • outdoor play space at your home
  • two exits on the main level of your home