Contact Us

  • 501 Merchant
    Oswego, KS 67356
  • (620) 795-2138
  • Personnel Directory

Labette Co History

  • About this Category
  • Related
    Pages
  • More Information

Labette County was organized in 1867, and was named for a creek which runs through the county; the creek had been named for an early trader, Pierre LaBette. Containing the cities of Chetopa, Edna, Bartlett, Mound Valley, Altamont, Oswego, and Parsons.  

Parsons was named after Judge Levi Parsons, promoter and President of the Missouri Kansas & Texas Railroad (commonly called the KATY) and was incorporated in 1871.  

Osage Indians first occupied the Oswego area, followed in 1861 with the establishment of a trading post, owned by John Matthews.  Matthews' trading post was burned down by Union Soldiers from Fort Scott and about six years later, the town of Oswego was incorporated.